Other Federal Agencies

In addition to the U. S. Commercial Service, several other federal agencies offer help to American exporters, or control the exporting process

OK, to many of us, federal government agencies can be a confusion of alphabet soup. Even so, the ones listed below can be relevant to U.S. exporters. If you are in doubt about who to contact, we recommend that you start by contacting us.

Request DEC Engagement

Export Import Bank of the United States (ExIm)

US exporters use EXIM trade finance products to win deals and get paid: Insurance, Working Capital, and Loan Guarantees backed by the US federal government.  Click here  for a summary of EXIM Bank programs and funded exporters in Wisconsin.
(For local EXIM contacts click here.)

Food Export Association of the Midwest USA (covers Wisconsin)

Created and funded by the  U.S. Department of Agriculture, this is one of four “State Regional Trade Groups” which offer access to USDA programs and resources. These programs include a variety of export training and financial assistance opportunities for the agricultural sector.  This organization also works closely with Wisconsin’s International Agribusiness Group, and may be reached at tel: (608) 224-5126.  The other three regional SRTGs are:

  1. Food Export USA Northeast (215) 829-9111). It’s region includes Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont.
  2. Southern U.S. Trade Association (504) 568-5986). It’s region includes Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Puerto Rico, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia.
  3. Western U.S. Agricultural Trade Association (360) 693-3373). It’s region includes Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington, Wyoming, Guam, America Samoa.

International Trade Administration (ITA)  

The ITA, of which the USCS is a part, is charged with strengthening the competitiveness of U.S. industry, promoting trade and investment, and ensuring fair trade through the enforcement of trade laws and agreements. It also publishes the Top Market Reports, and maintains statistical trade data.

Small Business Development Centers (SBDCs)

The Wisconsin SBDC is part of a nationwide network funded by the U.S. Small Business Administration. It has international trade certified business consultants located across the state. They can help you with import and export documentation, shipping logistics & distribution, market intelligence & trade data, eCommerce platforms, and much more.

U.S. Department of Agriculture (export credit guarantees)

The USDA Foreign Agricultural Service (FAS) provides trade finance solutions for exporters of U.S. agricultural products to developing markets. International sales into these markets can pose financing challenges, as U.S. banks may be reluctant to assume the associated credit risk.

U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA export loan programs)

The SBA works through banks in Wisconsin to offer special loan programs for exporters. Basically, these are bank loans that guarantee up to 90% of the loan. These loans can be used to finance direct or indirect exports. Indirect exports can include tourism and the sale of goods to domestic customers who then export them.
(For local SBA contacts click here.)

More federal agencies you may encounter while exporting:

For more on  organizations providing export assistance in Wisconsin click here.